Novavax, Inc. (Nasdaq: NVAX), a biotechnology company dedicated to developing and commercializing next-generation vaccines for serious infectious diseases, today announced the first doses of Nuvaxovid™ COVID-19 Vaccine (recombinant, adjuvanted) have begun shipping to European Union (EU) member states. Nuvaxovid, also known as NVX-CoV2373, is the first protein-based COVID-19 vaccine authorized for use in Europe.
Local test and release procedures were completed and Nuvaxovid doses are shipping from Novavax’ Netherlands distribution center to EU member states beginning this week. The first wave of shipments includes several countries, such as Germany, France and Austria. Shipments to additional EU member states are expected to quickly follow.
“Today’s announcement paves the way for vaccination with Nuvaxovid to begin in Europe within the coming days. The Novavax COVID-19 vaccine provides a differentiated option to bolster vaccination rates across Europe,” said Stanley C. Erck, President and Chief Executive Officer, Novavax. “Nuvaxovid has demonstrated efficacy, a reassuring safety and tolerability profile, and is built on a well-understood protein-based vaccine platform used for other vaccines for decades.”
The European Commission (EC) granted conditional marketing authorization (CMA) for Nuvaxovid for active immunization to prevent COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2 in individuals 18 years of age and older. The authorization followed the European Medicines Agency’s (EMA) Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) recommendation to authorize the vaccine and is applicable in all 27 EU member states. Novavax expects to submit its regulatory filing for a pediatric indication in adolescents aged 12 through 17-years to global regulatory authorities, including EMA, during the first quarter of 2022.
Novavax and the EC have an advance purchase agreement for up to 100 million doses of Nuvaxovid with the option for an additional 100 million doses (up to 200 million doses total). Through the second quarter, Novavax has received a commitment for orders from the EC totaling 69 million doses. The initial doses were manufactured by Novavax’ partner, the Serum Institute of India, the world’s largest vaccine manufacturer by volume. Information about dose administration will be available through each member state.
For more information on Nuvaxovid, including the European approved Product Information, European approved Consumer Medicines Information and Important Safety Information, or to request additional information, please visit the following websites:
The brand name Nuvaxovid™ has not yet been authorized for use in the U.S. by the FDA.
Authorized Use of Nuvaxovid™ in the European Union
European Commission has granted conditional marketing authorization for Nuvaxovid™ COVID-19 Vaccine (recombinant, adjuvanted) for active immunization to prevent COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2 in individuals 18 years of age and older.
Important Safety Information
- Nuvaxovid™ is contraindicated in persons who have a hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients
- Events of anaphylaxis have been reported with administration of COVID-19 vaccines. Appropriate medical treatment and supervision should be available in case of an anaphylactic reaction
- Anxiety-related reactions, including vasovagal reactions (syncope), hyperventilation, or stress–related reactions may occur in association with vaccination as a response to the needle injection. It is important that precautions are in place to avoid injury from fainting
- Vaccination should be postponed in individuals suffering from an acute severe febrile illness or acute infection
- Give Nuvaxovid with caution in individuals receiving anticoagulant therapy or those with thrombocytopenia or any coagulation disorder (such as haemophilia) because bleeding or bruising may occur following an intramuscular administration in these individuals
- The efficacy of Nuvaxovid may be lower in immunosuppressed individuals
- The duration of protection afforded by the vaccine is unknown as it is still being determined by ongoing clinical trials
- Individuals may not be fully protected until 7 days after their second dose. As with all vaccines, vaccination with Nuvaxovid may not protect all vaccine recipients
- The most common adverse reactions observed during clinical studies (frequency category of very common ≥ 1/10), were headache, nausea or vomiting, myalgia, arthralgia, injection site tenderness/pain, fatigue and malaise
NVX-CoV2373 is a protein-based vaccine engineered from the genetic sequence of the first strain of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 disease. NVX-CoV2373 was created using Novavax’ recombinant nanoparticle technology to generate antigen derived from the coronavirus spike (S) protein and is formulated with Novavax’ patented saponin-based Matrix-M™ adjuvant to enhance the immune response and stimulate high levels of neutralizing antibodies. NVX-CoV2373 contains purified protein antigen and can neither replicate, nor can it cause COVID-19.
Novavax’ COVID-19 vaccine is packaged as a ready-to-use liquid formulation in a vial containing ten doses. The vaccination regimen calls for two 0.5 ml doses (5 mcg antigen and 50 mcg Matrix-M adjuvant) given intramuscularly 21 days apart. The vaccine is stored at 2°- 8° Celsius, enabling the use of existing vaccine supply and cold chain channels. Use of the vaccine should be in accordance with official recommendations.
Novavax has established partnerships for the manufacture, commercialization and distribution of NVX-CoV2373 worldwide. Existing authorizations leverage Novavax’ manufacturing partnership with Serum Institute of India (SII), the world’s largest vaccine manufacturer by volume. They will later be supplemented with data from additional manufacturing sites throughout Novavax’ global supply chain.
About Matrix-M™ Adjuvant
Novavax’ patented saponin-based Matrix-M™ adjuvant has demonstrated a potent and well-tolerated effect by stimulating the entry of antigen-presenting cells into the injection site and enhancing antigen presentation in local lymph nodes, boosting immune response.